- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup store-bought kalamata olive tapenade
- 16 slices pumpernickel bread
- 2 1/2 pounds deli-sliced roast beef
- 1 large bunch watercress, tough stems removed
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 500 degrees . In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, EVOO, brown sugar, crushed red pepper and salt. Spread onto a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until the liquid has evaporated and the tomatoes are slightly charred, about 25 minutes. Transfer the tomatoes to a bowl and stir in the tapenade.
Spread the tomato jam over 8 bread slices. Layer each with roast beef, watercress and a non-jammy bread slice.