Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 1 hr
Bake: 25 mins
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs plus 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Make the cakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 2 eggs, the cocoa, baking soda, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. vanilla until slightly thickened.
- In another bowl, briefly whisk together the oil, food coloring and vinegar. Whisk the oil mixture into the sugar mixture. Whisk in 1 cup flour, then 1/2 cup buttermilk; repeat. Finally, whisk in the remaining 1 cup flour.
- Dollop the batter 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake the cakes, switching the pans halfway through baking, until the tops are set and just springy, 11 to 12 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the ice cream: Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt on low until foamy. Increase the speed to medium and gradually beat in the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar until the meringue has just formed stiff peaks. Transfer the meringue to a bowl and refrigerate.
- Add the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp. vanilla to the mixer bowl. Switching to the paddle attachment, mix on low until combined. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Beat about one-third of the chilled meringue into the cream cheese mixture on low speed. Add half of the remaining meringue and gently fold in with a spatula. Repeat with the last bit of meringue. Scrape the mixture into a container, cover and freeze overnight.
- Sandwich the ice cream between the red velvet cakes. Serve immediately.