- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds ground dark and white meat turkey
- 3 tablespoons grated onion (grate over the turkey to catch the juices)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground poultry seasoning; such as Bell's (about 1/2 palmful)
- coarse salt and pepper
- a drizzle of vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1 pound package sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 8 slice marbled rye or pumpernickel bread
- 4 tablespoons butter; softened
- 8 slice emmentaler
- 8 slice sharp cheddar
- spicy brown mustard
In a small bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients.
Heat a griddle pan over medium-high heat. Combine all of the patty ingredients except for the oil; form 4 patties. Drizzle the oil on the griddle, add the patties and cook; turning once, until cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe the griddle.
In a small saucepan, warm the sauerkraut over medium heat.
Lightly spread 1 side of each bread slice with the butter. With the buttered sides facing down, build the patty melts: Spread the dressing liberally on the unbuttered sides of 4 bread slices, then top each with 2 emmentaler slices, an even layer of sauerkraut, a turkey patty and 2 cheddar slices. Slather the mustard on the unbuttered sides of the other 4 bread slices and set in place. Griddle, turning once, until crisp on the outside ad the cheese is melted, 6-8 minutes.