Yield: Four 9-inch pizzas or sixteen 3- to 4-inch pizzas.
Prep: 20 mins
Grill: 20 mins
- 6 tablespoons EVOO
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large poblano chiles, quartered and seeded
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and cut into 16 wedges (root ends attached)
- Best-Ever Pizza Dough
- 1/2cup store-bought salsa verde
- 3 cups (10 to 12 oz.) coarsely grated pepper jack
- 3/4cup (about 4 oz.) crumbled feta
- 1 large ripe hass avocado, sliced
- 1/3cup chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges, for squeezing
- Preheat a grill to 500 degrees . In a small bowl, mix together the EVOO, garlic and cumin; season with salt.
- Place the chiles and onions on a baking sheet; brush with 2 tbsp. of the cumin oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, turning with tongs, until the vegetables are charred in spots, about 5 minutes. Return the chiles and onions to the baking sheet. Cut the chiles into 1/4- to 1/3-inch strips.
- Lower the heat on one side of the the grill to low. Oil the grate on that side of the grill. Move the shaped dough to the grill. Lower the edge of the dough onto the oiled grill, draping the dough perpendicular to the grate. For 9-inch pizzas, grill 2 crusts at a time. For 3- to 4-inch pizzas, grill 8 crusts at a time.
- Cover the grill and cook until the crusts begin to bubble and brown, about 3 minutes. Loosen the crusts with a metal spatula; cover and cook for 1 minute more. Flip the crusts over; cook until beginning to brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
- Working in batches, invert the crusts flat side down onto a baking sheet. Brush the crusts generously with the cumin oil. Spread the crusts with the salsa verde, then divide the pepper jack, chiles and onions among them. Place the baking sheet on the cooler side of grill. Cover and cook until the cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Off the heat, top the pizzas with the feta, avocado (chopped for small pizzas) and cilantro. Serve with the lime wedges.