- 1 cup pearled barley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or vegetable oil
- 2 ears corn, kernels removed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 1 Fresno or jalapeno chile-stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- A handful fresh basil leaves-stacked, rolled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- About 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
In a small pot, cover the barley with a couple inches water. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Salt the water and cook the barley until al dente, about 25 minutes. Drain.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. When the oil ripples, add the corn; cook until lightly browned. Stir in the onion, celery, chile and garlic; cook for 2 minutes. transfer to a large bowl.
Add the tomatoes, parsley, basil, pine nuts and barley to the corn mixture; stir to combine. Dress with the EVOO, lemon juice and zest; season. Serve at room temperature or cold.