- 4 large eggs, preferably organic
- 1 shallot, grated or minced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional, but recommended)
- 1 teaspoon dried herbes de provence (about 1/3 palmful)
- About 1/3 cup EVOO
- 2 12 ounce cans sustainable/line-caught tuna, preferably no sald added, flaked
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 small ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup nicoise olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons small capers in brine, drained
- 2 baguettes
- 1 romaine heart, shredded
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 12 cornichons, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
Place the eggs in a pot, cover with water and bring just to a boil. Remove from heat. Cover pot and let eggs stand for 10 minutes. In a medium bowl of ice water, shock the eggs; drain. Crack the shells, let eggs stand for 5 minutes, then peel and slice.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the shallot, garlic, vinegar and lemon juice; season with salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in the mustard, anchovy paste, if using, and herbes de provence; stream in the EVOO while whisking and season with pepper. Add the tuna to the dressing along with the onion, celery, olives and capers; mix well.
Halve the baguettes lengthwise and crosswise and fill each sandwich with lettuce and tuna salad. Top with the radishes, cornichons, tomato and sliced eggs. Wrap and chill until ready to serve. Pair with a dry rose.