- Prep Time
- 1/2 pound dried lentils
- 1 small onion, halved and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 8 fresh lamb, turkey, pork or chicken sausages
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
In a medium saucepan, add the lentils and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Add the onion and bay leaf, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine 1/4 cup EVOO and the garlic; let stand for 15 minutes.
In a medium skillet, add the sausages and enough water to reach a depth of 1/4 inch. Drizzle generously with EVOO and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the water is evaporated, about 8 minutes. Cook the sausages until slightly crisp, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
In a large bowl, drizzle the arugula with EVOO and the vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
Toss the hot lentils with the garlic oil and parsley. Serve with the sausages and arugula.