- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 slices thick-cut applewood-smoked bacon, thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 3/4 lb. red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large ribs celery with leaves, ribs halved lengthwise then sliced
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 2 medium carrots, quartered lengthwise then sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 can (15 to 15.25 oz.) corn kernels, drained
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
1. In a large pot with a lid, cook the bacon over medium-high until crispy, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
2. In the pot, cook the butter and flour over medium, stirring constantly, until light brown, about 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, celery, onion, carrots, garlic and bay leaves; stir until coated, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the stock and chicken. Cook, partially covered, over medium, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
4. In a blender, puree the cream with half the corn. Stir the puree and the remaining corn into the soup; season with salt and pepper. Divide among 4 bowls. Top with the bacon and chives.