- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 pound lamb stew meat
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 piece (1 1/2 inch) fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 pounds beefsteak tomatoes, cored and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 19 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
In a large heavy pot over medium-high, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO. Pat the lamb dry and season with salt and pepper. Sear, turning until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer the lamb to a cutting board.
Add the remaining 2 tbsp. EVOO and the carrots to the pot; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, scraping up any brown bits. Add the ginger, garlic and cinnamon; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
Stir in the tomatoes and 2 cups water. Return the lamb and any juices to the pot and simmer, 15 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the lamb to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the lamb, then return it to the pot. Stir in the chickpeas and cook to heat through, about 5 minutes. Serve with the cilantro and yogurt.