Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 large bulbs fennel, thinly sliced; plus chopped fronds for garnishing
- 1 bunch scallions, whites and greens thinly sliced separately
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless firm white fish, cut into bite-size pieces
- In a medium bowl, crush the tomatoes and their liquid with your hands. Strain the liquid into a small bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or medium dutch oven, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the fennel and scallion whites and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 8 minutes. Add the garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- Add the strained tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, strained tomato juice and 4 cups water; season with salt and pepper. (Add more water if necessary to cover the potatoes.) Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Gently stir in the fish and scallion greens and simmer until the fish is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Garnish with the fennel fronds.