This gorgeous black-and-white cake is a great base for any frostings, fillings and toppings from our "Instant Expert! Mix & Match Cakes" booklet..
Makes: 12 servings
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 8 ounce sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. milk
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees . In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter on high until creamy, 2 minutes. With the machine on, gradually add the sugar and beat, scraping the bowl, until fluffy, 8 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl. Beat in the vanilla. At low speed, add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk. At medium speed, mix until smooth.
- Transfer 2 cups of batter to another bowl; stir in cocoa powder. Pour the remaining yellow batter into a foil-lined cake pan. Spoon blobs of cocoa batter on top of the yellow batter. Using a butter knife, swirl in the cocoa blobs. Bake as directed.
For the Cake::
Variation Malt Shop Marble Cake
Note March 2013
- This recipe was originally published in the "Instant Expert! Mix & Match Cakes" booklet.