Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 1/4cup EVOO
- 1 large onion (8 oz.), halved and thinly sliced
- 2 apples--halved, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces linguine
- 1 bag (14 oz.) coleslaw mix
- 1 boneless ham stead (8 oz.), cut into 1/2-inch matchsticks
- In a large dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium heat. Add the onion, partially cover and cook, stirring frequently, until golden-brown, about 15 minutes. Add 2 tbsp. EVOO, the apples, rosemary, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper; cook until the apples are crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook teh linguine according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Add the coleslaw mix and remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO to the dutch oven; increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the slaw is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the ham, linguine and reserved cooking water; cook, tossing, until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Choose granny smith apples for this recipe--their tartness is the perfect match for ham and cabbage, and their extra-crisp texture holds up well during cooking.