Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 1 cup medium-grain white rice
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 5 scallions, trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound thawed frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 avocado
- In a medium saucepan, boil 2 cups water. Add the rice, lower the heat to low, cover and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in half the lime juice.
- In a small saucepan, mash half the beans with1/2 cup water over medium heat. Add the remaining beans and the oregano. Simmer for 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. In a bowl, toss the onion, scallions and shrimp with the EVOO and chili powder; season. Grill the onions and scallion whites for 7 minutes, then the scallion greens and shrimp, turning once, for 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the remaining lime juice. Divide the rice, beans, veggies and shrimp among 4 bowls and dollop with the avocado mash.