Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 1 1/2cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. EVOO
- 1/4cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 2/3cups buttermilk
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 4 slices swiss or cheddar
- 8 thin slices black forest or other deli ham
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 pickle spears, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . Preheat a waffle iron. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Make a well in the center, then add the eggs, EVOO and chives; whisk to break the eggs. Whisk in the buttermilk until smooth.
- Spray the hot waffle iron with cooking spray. Ladle in the batter, close and cook according to manufacturer's directions until golden (make 4 waffles). Transfer the waffles to a baking sheet to cool.
- Brush some mustard onto each waffle. Layer 2 waffles with a slice of cheese, 2 slices of ham and some tomato slices. Set the remaining 2 waffles on top mustard side down. Bake until toasted and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Cut each sammy into 4 wedges. Serve 2 wedges per person with the pickle spears.
- An extra buck will buy you juicy fruit. Pile up thick pineapple rings on the side.
- Trim any ragged edges of the cooked waffles with scissors.