Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 boneless strip steak (about 1 lb.)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 6 orange habanero chiles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons EVOO, plus more for brushing
- 1 lime, zested, plus 1 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 baguette, split and quartered
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Season the steak and grill, about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest.
- Lower heat to medium; wrap the garlic in foil and cook until soft, 15 minutes. Grill chiles 6 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Squeeze the garlic from its skin into a food processor. Stem and seed the chiles then add to garlic along with EVOO, lime juice and sugar. Pulse to a paste and season with salt.
- Brush cut sides of the bread with EVOO and toast on the grill. In a bowl, stir together the mayo, lime zest and 3 tbsp. water.
- Thinly slice the steak. Spread chile paste on baguette bottoms and some lime mayo on baguette tops. Divide the steak and spinach among sandwiches.