Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Grill: 5 mins
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pressed
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 4 chilled romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
- 1 3 3/4 ounce can sardines packed in olive oil, drained and shredded with a fork, or 1 can (5 oz) albacore tuna
- 8 diagonal slices (1/2 inch thick) baguette
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat a grill to medium. In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, garlic, mustard, worcestershire and 1/2 tsp. salt. Gradually whisk in 6 tbsp. EVOO until the dressing thickens.
- Brush the cut sides of the romaine hearts with some of the dressing. Arrange the romaine cut side down on the grill and cook until lightly charred, about 1 minute. Divide, cut side up, among 4 plates. Top with the sardines.
- Lower the heat to low. Lightly brush the baguette slices with the remaining 2 tbsp. EVOO. Grill until lightly charred on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn, top each with some of the parmesan and grill until lightly charred on the second side, about 1 minute. Divide the crostini among the plates with the romaine. Drizzle the romaine with the remaining dressing. Top with the scallions and freshly cracked pepper.
- AN EXTRA BUCK WILL BUY YOU hard-boiled eggs. Peel, halve and lightly salt 4 eggs. Divide among plates.