Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cups seedless red or black grapes, halved
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon EVOO
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 5 ounce bag baby spinach
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in the grapes, sugar and a pinch each salt and pepper. Cook until tender, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Preheat the broiler. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. In a 9-inch, ovenproof nonstick skillet, melt the remaining 1 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Pour in the eggs and cook, stirring constantly, to three-quarters doneness, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; spread evenly in the pan; broil until set, 1 to 2 minutes. Dot with the mascarpone.
- In a salad bowl, whisk together the EVOO and vinegar; add the spinach, season and toss to coat. Cut the frittato into wedges; top with the grape compote. Serve with the salad.
- An extra buck will buy you thick buttered toast. Slather toasted italian bread with butter and a sprinkling of salt.