- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1/3 pound ham steak, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 serrano chile peppers or 1 large jalapeno chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small ripe vine tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- About 1 1/2 cups Fritos corn chips, lightly crushed (about 3 big handfuls)
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Frank's RedHot
- 4 ounces pepper jack, diced (about 1 cup)
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees . In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the ham and cook until browned, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add the butter to the skillet and cook until foaming. Add the onion, bell pepper, chiles and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato and cilantro. Scatter the ham and corn chips in the pan.
In a bowl, beat the eggs with the hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the ham mixture. Scatter the cheese on top. Cook until the eggs are just set, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the frittata to the oven and bake until puffed, 12 to 15 minutes.