Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 4 slices country bread
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 2 cloves peeled garlic, 1 halved and 1 finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces thick-cut bacon, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 4 eggs
- 1/2pound frisee, torn into large pieces
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- preheat the broiler. Place the bread slices on a baking sheet and brush 1 side with the EVOO. Broil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Remove and rub with the halved garlic clove. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Fill a medium skillet with water to a depth of about 2 inches; bring to a simmer. Crack each egg into a ramekin or teacup, then tip the eggs 1 at a time into the simmering water (alternatively, use a egg poacher or egg rings). Poach over medium heat until the whites are set and the yolks are soft, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a paper-towel-lined plate and gently blot dry.
- Add the frisee to a large, heatproof bowl. Reheat the bacon in the large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in the vinegar and cook until simmering. Toss the bacon dressing with the frisee. mound onto 4 plates and top each with a poached egg; season. Serve with the garlic toasts.
- ... chives and blue cheese. Divide 1 tbsp. chives and 2 tbsp. crumbled blue cheese among plates.