- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 bunch kale, center ribs and stems discarded, leaves torn
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey (half dark and half white meat)
- 3/4 loaf italian bread, split horizontally, then cut crosswise into quarters
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 eggs
In a large bowl, combine the kale and onion (reserving a few onion slices for topping the burgers, if desired) and toss with the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Set aside, tossing occasionally.
Crumble the ground turkey into a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper and shape into four 3 1/2-inch patties, pressing your thumb into the center of each to form a slight indent.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until browned, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, toast the bread, then slather the cut sides with mayonnaise. Top each bread bottom with a burger patty. Using the same skillet, fry the eggs, then place 1 fried egg on top of each burger patty. Top with the reserved onion slices, if using, and set the bread tops into place. Serve with the kale salad.