Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 5 mins
- 6 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 lemon, zested, plus 2 tbsp. juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 small cucumbers, such as Persian, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch radishes (about 10), trimmed and quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Greek yogurt (optional)
- In a jar, combine 5 tbsp. of the EVOO with the lemon zest and juice, vinegar, sugar and garlic. Screw on the lid; shake to blend. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, bell pepper, onion and cilantro. Toss with the vinaigrette; season. Transfer to a platter; create a well in the center of the salad.
- In a small bowl, combine the allspice, cardamom, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt; spread the spices on a large plate. Roll the chickpeas in the spices to coat. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium. Add the chickpeas; fry until warmed through, shaking the pan occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon the chickpeas into the center of the salad. Dollop with yogurt, if using.