- 3 tablespoons EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 3 large or 4 medium onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- About 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 24-inch loaf crusty french bread, halved lengthwise and crosswise (or buy 2 smaller loaves to yield 4 individual foot-long sections)
- 2 cups shredded gruyere or fontina val daosta cheese (from a 10-ounce brick)
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees . In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, with the anchovies over medium heat until the anchovies are melted. Add the onions and garlic; season with the thyme, oregano and pepper. Increase the heat a bit and cook the onions, stirring frequently, until light caramel in color, about 20 minutes; season with salt.
Meanwhile, toast the bread on a baking sheet in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
Preheat the broiler. Top the toasted bread evenly with the onions and 2 cheeses. Brown under the broiler for 1 to 3 minutes.