- salt and pepper
- 1 pound bucatini, pici or spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1/4- 1/3 pound chunk guanciale, pancetta or center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups thawed frozen artichoke hearts or 1 can (14oz) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated caciocavello or pecorino-romano, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the guanciale (or pancetta or bacon) and cook until the fat is rendered, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, season with pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the wine, then the stock. Add the artichoke hearts and cook to heat through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Lower the heat to low.
Stir the reserved pasta cooking water into the artichoke sauce. Add the pasta, 1/2 cup cheese and the parsley; toss. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls and pass more cheese at the table.