- Prep Time
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound cavatappi (hollow corkscrew) or other short-cut pasta
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1/2 pound raw chorizo sausage, casings discarded, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded manchego cheese
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped jarred pimiento peppers
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour, then whisk in the sherry. Stir in the chicken broth and milk and cook until thickened; season with pepper. Stir in the cheese. Fold in the peas and pimientos.
Drain the pasta, toss with the sauce and top with the chorizo and parsley.