Makes: 10 to 12 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Slow Cook: 4 hrs
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 pounds 85% lean ground beef chuck
- 2/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Toasted crusty bread, for serving
- In a large slow cooker, stir together the tomatoes, EVOO, garlic, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper and the crushed red pepper. Cover and cook on high heat for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using your hands, gently knead together the beef, half the parsley, the breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Shape into about 72 balls (about 1-inch diameter).
- Place the meatballs in the cooker and stir to coat with the sauce. Cover and cook on high heat until the meatballs are no longer pink inside, about 2 hours. Gently turn the meatballs in the sauce every 30 minutes.
- Using a shallow spoon, degrease the surface of the sauce. Stir in the remaining parsley. Serve the meatballs with the bread.