- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples-peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and reserved
- 1 refrigerated piecrust
- 24 gingersnaps (about 8 oz.)
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons chopped candied ginger
- Confectioners' sugar, for topping
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a large bowl, toss the apples, sugar, 1/3 cup flour, the orange juice and zest, the cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. salt and the vanilla seeds.
Fit the piecrust into a 9-inch pie pan; crimp the edges. Transfer the apples to the crust; cover the pie loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the gingersnaps, remaining 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 tsp. salt until finely ground; transfer to a medium bowl. Using your fingers, blend in the butter until the mixture resembles wet sand.
Remove the pie from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees . Sprinkle pie with the candied ginger and the gingersnap mixture, cover with foil and bake until the apples are tender and the juices bubble, about 30 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.