Yield: Makes 12.
Prep: 30 mins
Fry: 20 mins
- 12 raw breakfast sausage links
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 gallon peanut oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees . Place the sausages in a skillet and add enough cold water to cover; bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat; let stand until cooked, 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to cool. Skewer lengthwise onto wooden skewers.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, salt and baking powder. Whisk in the buttermilk until just combined. In a separate bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar, maple syrup and milk until smooth.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. in a saucepan, heat the oil to 375 degrees . Batter 2 or the sausages, letting the excess batter drip off. holding the skewers, fry the sausages in the oil, rotating, until golden-brown, 3 minutes; transfer to the baking sheet and place in the oven. Repeat with the remaining sausages. Serve with the glaze.