Makes: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 - 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, sliced on an angle 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 2 chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or marsala
- Softened butter
- 8 pullman or sourdough bread
- 8 slices jarlsberg or emmentaler cheese
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the EVOO. Form into 4 thin patties. In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO. Add the patties and cook, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- In another skillet, heat the remaining 3 tbsp. EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and brown for 10 minutes. Add the shallot, thyme, salt and pepper; cook to soften, 5 to 8 minutes. Deglaze with the sherry.
- Wipe out a skillet and place over medium-high heat. Spread the butter on 1 side of each bread slice. Layer each of 4 bread slices, buttered side out, with 1 cheese slice, a burger, some mushrooms, another cheese slice and another bread slice, buttered side out. Fry the melts in the skillet over medium heat until golden.
Make the turkey burgers::
Make the portobellos::