- About 2 tablespoons EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- A few leaves basil, torn
- Salt and pepper
- About 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Lots of coarse black pepper
- 4 8 ounces halibut fillets
- EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil), for frying
- Store-bought balsamic drizzle (or reduce 1/2 cup vinegar with 2 tablespoons brown sugar until syrupy), for topping
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot and stir for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes and basil, season with salt and pepper and cook to break down the tomatoes, 10 to 15 minutes.
Mix the cornmeal with the cheese and black pepper. Add the fish and turn to coat. Heat a thin layer of EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook, turning once, until crisp and brown all over, 8 to 10 minutes.
Top the fish with the tomato sauce and a little balsamic drizzle.