Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 18 mins
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bag (24 oz.) frozen potato slices, such as McCain, thawed
- 4 skin-on salmon fillets (6 oz. each), patted dry
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (about 2 1/2 oz.) grated aged gouda
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 large head frisee--washed, dried and chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring once halfway through, until softened, about 10 minutes; drain and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Rub the salmon with the remaining 1 tbsp. EVOO and season with salt and pepper. When the skillet is hot, add the salmon, skin side down, and cook, undisturbed, until the sin is very crisp, about 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and cook for 3 more minutes. Flip and cook until almost opaque at the thickest part, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash the butter into the potatoes until mostly melted. Add the cheese, milk, frisee and scallions and coarsely mash; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the salmon.
- Grate enough cheese for both this and Friday's recipe (keep Friday's cheese refrigerated in a covered container). Save the remaining chunk to share for Thursday's salad.