Makes: 4 servings
Yield: about 2 dozen
Prep: 10 mins
Bake: 30 mins
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 oz.) butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups dark-chocolate chunks
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the first four ingredients on high until fluffy, about 5 minutes. beat in the next three ingredients; scrape down the sides of the bowl. add the oats, coconut and flour; mix on low until blended. Stir in the chocolate. Let stand until the oats soften, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees . Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the sheets, about 3 inches apart.
- Bake, switching pans halfway through, until just golden, about 14 minutes. (For crispier cookies, bake 1 to 2 minutes longer.) Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks. Repeat with the remaining dough.