Cream cheese enriches this simple soup and enhances its fresh spring vegetable flavor. For a great presentation, puree soup without the cream cheese. Then mix cream cheese and milk into a pourable mixture and swirl in for a beautiful and flavorful finish. Garnish with asparagus tips.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 35 mins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, each cut crosswise into thirds
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup (1/2 of 8-oz. tub) Philadelphia® Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Spread
- 1/4 cup milk
- Melt butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Add leeks; cook 5 min. or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic; cook and stir 2 min. Add asparagus, broth and water; stir. Simmer on medium-low heat 5 min. or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, mix cream cheese spread and milk until well blended.
- Add asparagus mixture to blender, in batches; blend until smooth. Spoon into soup bowls.
- Add cream cheese mixture; swirl gently with spoon.
- Garnish with additional asparagus tips just before serving.Soup is equally delicious served hot or chilled.