Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 1 3/4pounds broccoli (about 1 large bunch), cut into 1-inch florets and 1/4-inch stem slices
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 7 scallions, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces thawed frozen spinach (about 1/2 box)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- In a large pot, combine the broccoli, potato and garlic. Stir in the broth and half of the scallions. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Uncover the soup and stir in the spinach and 1 tbsp. thyme. Return to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Using a blender and working in batches, puree the soup until smooth.
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, remaining scallions and 1 tsp. thyme; season with pepper. Return the soup to a simmer, stirring, over medium heat. Ladle the soup into bowls; top with the herbed yogurt.