Makes: 10 to 12 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Slow Cook: 8 hrs
- 6 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 cup cola
- Potato buns, pickle chips and barbecue sauce, for serving
- Rub the pork shoulder with the chile powder. Place in a large, lined slow cooker. Pour the cola around the pork. Cover and cook on low heat until the meat is fork-tender and cooked through, about 8 hours.
- Using two large forks, transfer the pork to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Shred the meat.
- Pour the cooking liquid into a large bowl or 1-qt. measuring cup and let stand for 10 minutes. Skim the fat from the surface and discard.
- Return the meat to the cooker and warm over low heat, mixing in some of the cooking liquid to moisten.
- To serve, pile the pulled pork onto the bun bottoms and top with pickles. Drizzle with your favorite barbecue sauce and cover with the bun tops.