Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 55 mins
- 4 large chicken legs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 13 1/2 ounce can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 small head garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces orecchiette or orzo pasta
- 1 10 - 11 ounce package baby spinach, washed and dried
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. In a large dutch oven, combine the coconut milk, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and bay leaves. Toss the chicken in the sauce to coat. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, partially cover and simmer, turning the chicken halfway through, until tender; about 50 minutes
- About 10 minutes before the chicken is done cooking, preheat the broiler. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Transfer the chicken, skin side up, to a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, skim off and discard the fat from the sauce in the dutch oven; discard the bay leaves. Bring the sauce to a boil until slightly reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the spinach to wilt. Serve the chicken with the spinach and pasta.
- Cook the whole pound of pasta tonight and save half of it for Thursday's ratatouille. Toss with a little EVOO before refrigerating so it doesn't stick together.