- Prep Time
- 8 chicken sausages, casings pierced several times
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large head (about 2-1/2 pounds) cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 yellow or red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 15 1/2 ounce cans butter beans, drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick Grill Mates Montreal steak seasoning
In a large skillet, cover the sausages with water, add 1 tablespoon EVOO and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the liquid evaporates and the sausages brown and crisp up on all sides, about 15 minutes.
In a large pot, bring 1 inch of water to a boil, salt it and add the cauliflower. Cover and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, bring just to a boil and cook, stirring often, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Using a wooden spoon and stirring in a figure-eight pattern, mix in the cheese. Remove the sauce from the heat, season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg and cover to keep warm.
In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat until hot. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the beans and heat through. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and grill seasoning. Stir the mixture into the beans and simmer for 5 minutes.
Drain the cauliflower and stir into the cheese sauce until coated. Serve 2 links of sausage with some beans and Cheddar Cauliflower alongside.