Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- in a large pot, heat the EVOO over medium-high. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5 minutes. Add the carrot and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and tomatoes; season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- in a large bowl, gently mix the chicken with 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Roll 1 tbsp. of the chicken between your palms, forming a ball, and drop into the broth. Repeat with the remaining chicken (you should have about 20 meatballs).
- Stir in the orzo and simmer 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, the orzo is al dente and the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Season before serving.