Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 2 hrs 30 mins
- 3 pounds beef flanken short ribs (about 1-inch thick), sliced across the bones and halved crosswise
- salt and pepper
- 1 - 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated garlic
- 1/2cup red wine
- 1/4cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2cup bottled pure cherry juice
- 1/2cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2pounds bok choy, well rinsed
- 1 8.8ouncepackage soba noodles, cooked and rinsed
- 1/2cup dried cherries
- 3 tablespoons sliced scallion greens
- Season the ribs with 1/2 tsp. salt. In a large dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp. oil over high heat. In 2 batches, brown the ribs, adding more oil if needed, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate. Lower the heat to medium, add the sesame seeds and toast for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Pour in the wine and vinegar, stirring to scrape up the browned bits. Add the beef broth, hoisin, cherry juice and soy sauce and bring to a simmer. Return the ribs to the pot, making sure to keep the meat submerged.
- Partially cover the pot and simmer until the meat is tender and falling away from the bone, about 2 hours (as shown above).
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the short ribs to 4 plates. Increase the heat to high, add the bok choy to the pot and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Using the slotted spoon, transfer the bok choy to the plates with the meat. Add the cooked soba to the braising sauce in the pot and bring to a boil; cook until heated through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to the plates using tongs. Add the cherries to the sauce and boil until the mixture is thickened and the cherries are soft, about 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the meat, greens and noodles. Top with the scallions.
HIT THE HEAT:
COVER AND SIMMER:
FINISH THE DISH: