Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 1 hr 25 mins
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons EVOO, plus more for tossing
- 1/4cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14 1/2ouncecan diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces coarsely grated provolone
- grated parmesan, for garnish
- chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Pierce the squash all over with a fork. Place on a baking sheet. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tbsp. EVOO over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove the seeds. Drag a fork through the flesh, scraping it apart in strands. Transfer the squash to a serving dish; toss with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Toss with the provolone. Spoon the tomato sauce over the squash. Top with the parmesan and parsley.