Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 19 mins
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 package (8 oz.) bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 box (6.3 oz.) israeli or pearl couscous
- 10 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups (about 8 oz.) grated aged gouda
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . In a small bowl, melt 3 tbsp. butter in the microwave, then stir in the garlic. Spread the broccoli in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet; drizzle the the garlic butter. Roast until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 10 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Reserve the skillet, discarding all but 1 tbsp. of the bacon fat.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the couscous until just al dente, 5 to 6 minutes; drain.
- Add the corn and scallions to the reserved skillet and cook over medium-high heat until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Add the couscous and chicken stock and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining 2 tbsp. butter, the cheese and reserved bacon. Serve with the broccoli.
- Don't have chicken stock on hand? Use the pasta cooking liquid instead. You can also use orzo or another small pasta instead of the couscous.