Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 50 mins
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 3/4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/4 pounds eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 6 ounces shredded reduced-fat mozzarella (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees . Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray.
- On a large plate, combine the flour and pepper. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and egg white. On another large plate, spread out the breadcrumbs. Working with one eggplant slice at a time, coat with the flour, then the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs, shaking off the excess after each step. Place on prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Bake 10 minutes, then flip the eggplant slices and switch the positions of the pans in the oven. Bake until the eggplant is golden-brown, about 10 minutes more.
- Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray, then spread with 1/2 cup sauce. Arrange one-third of the eggplant slices in a single layer, cutting slices as needed to fit the pan. Top with 1/2 cup sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tbsp. Parmesan. Repeat the layering twice more with the remaining ingredients, smoothing any remaining sauce on top.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees . Bake until the cheese melts and the casserole is browned and heated through, 25 to 30 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.