Makes: 4 servings
Start to Finish: 30 mins
- 3/4pound monterey jack, shredded (3 1/2 cups)
- 2 4 ouncecans diced green chiles, drained
- 1 cup sour cream or mexican crema
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- A small handful cilantro leaves, chopped, plus whole leaves for topping
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (about 1/3 palmful)
- vegetable oil or EVOO, for warming tortillas
- 12 corn tortillas
- Thinly sliced jalapeno chile peppers and red onions, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . In a medium bowl, combine the cheese, canned chiles, sour cream (or crema), yellow onion, garlic, chopped cilantro and cumin.
- Heat 1/4 inch oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Using tongs, add 1 tortilla at a time, turning in the oil to soften for a few seconds. Drain on paper towels.
- Dollop a few tbsp. of the cheese mixture onto each tortilla and roll up like a cigar (you will use about half to two-thirds of your filling). Arrange the enchiladas in a single layer in a casserole dish. Cover with the remaining cheese mixture and bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Top with the jalapenos, red onions and whole cilantro leaves.