Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 pound emmentaler or other swiss cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 pound gruyere, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon kirsch or brandy
- salt and pepper
- freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 baguette, cut into bite-size pieces
- Rub the inside of a heavy pot or dutch oven with the cut side of the garlic . Add the white wine and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a bowl, toss the cheeses with the cornstarch. Working in 3 batches, gradually stir the cheese mixture into the wine until melted. Pour in the kirsch and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is gently bubbling, about 2 minutes; season.
- Serve immediately from the dutch oven or transfer to a fondue pot. Top with grated nutmeg to taste. Serve with the baguette pieces for dipping.