Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 1 hr
Cook: 10 mins
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 pound cherries (fresh or frozen, thawed), preferably sour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juicd
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 8 firm, ripe bananas, peeld and split
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- 1 pint cherry ice cream
- 1 cup hot fudge sauce
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 8 maraschino cherries
- To make the cherry sauce, in a medium saucepan, dissolve the sugar in 3 tbsp. water, stirring, over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook, without stirring, occasionally brushing down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush, until the mixture is light amber, about 7 minutes. Add the cherries (the mixture will harden). Cook until the mixture melts and returns to a boil. Whisk in the cornstarch and boil 1 minute. Off heat, stir in the lemon juice.
- Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. raw sugar evenly over the cut side of each banana half. Transfer to a baking sheet. Broil until the sugar browns, about 5 minutes.
- Place 1 scoop of each ice cream into 8 bowls. Arrange the bananas alongside; top with the sauces, whipped cream, almonds and maraschino cherries.