Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 2 poundpiece skin-on halibut or cod (1 1/4-inch thick), halved lengthwise
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 large leek, well rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 16 medium-sized clams, such as littleneck
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 carrots, sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 8 yukon gold potatoes (1-inch) thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a large, ovenproof skillet fitted with a lid, melt the butter over medium heat. Pat the halibut dry; season with salt and pepper. Place flesh side down in the pan and sear for 2 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully flip to sear the other side, 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. In the skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the leek and garlic; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the clams and cook, shaking the pan, 1 minute.
- Add the wine, 34 cup water, the carrots and potatoes; cover. Cook, transferring the clams to a plate as they open, for 5 minutes.
- Return the halibut to the skillet; cover and transfer to the oven. Braise until the fish is cooked through and the veggies are tender, 16 to 18 minutes (as shown above).
- Transfer the halibut to a cutting board; halve each piece crosswise and divide, along with the veggies, among 4 shallow bowls. Add the clams and tarragon to the skillet. Cover and bake for 1 minute. Add to the bowls.
HIT THE HEAT:
COVER AND SIMMER:
FINISH THE DISH: