Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes
Prep: 40 mins
Bake: 25 mins
- 2 sticks butter
- 10 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- 1 cup cherry preserves
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1 24 ounce jar pitted sour cherries
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees . Line 2 muffin pans with baking liners. In a large saucepan, melt the butter in 2 cups water over medium heat. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the chocolate until melted. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla, then the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Divide the batter among the cups, filling to just below the rim. Bake until a toothpick inserted in a cupcake comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely in the pans.
- In a small bowl, stir the bourbon, if using, into the preserves. Using a cupcake corer or a paring knife, cut a 1-inch-deep hole into each cupcake. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Place one sour cherry in each hole. Fill with 2 tsp. of the preserves. Top with 3 more cherries.