Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 cup flavored German beer (such as Bock)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 pound white cheddar cheese (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon kirsch or brandy
- salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmet
- Hard or soft pretzels broken into pieces
- Rub the inside of a heavy pot or dutch oven with the cut side of the garlic. Add beer and mustard and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a bowl, toss the cheese with the cornstarch. Working in 3 batches, gradually stir the cheese mixture into the beer until melted. Pour in the kirsch and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is gently bubbling, about 2 minutes; season.
- Serve immediately from the dutch oven or transfer to a fondue pot. Top with grated nutmeg to taste. Serve with hard or soft pretzels broken into pieces.