Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 55 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 cup whole-grain (not pearled) barley
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon, half zested, half cut into wedges
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in the barley and wine and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add the broth and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Stir the shrimp into the barley. Cover and cook until the shrimp are firm and pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tbsp. butter and the crushed red pepper; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the rosemary and lemon zest. Serve with the lemon wedges.