Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 4 ounces bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 pound green beans
- 3/4 pound extra-wide egg noodles
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until golden, about 8 minutes. Push the bacon to the side of the pan and add the onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15 to 18 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
- Meanwhile, add the green beans to the boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to a colander; season with salt and pepper and cover to keep warm.
- Return the water to a boil, add the noodles and cook until al dente, about 9 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Toss the noodles with the sauce, adding the pasta water if needed to thin the sauce; season. Divide among 4 plates; serve with the green beans.
- Place the green beans in a colander and dip into the pasta water briefly to reheat; drain before serving.
- ...mini meatballs. Roll 1/3 lb. seasoned lean ground beef into 1-inch balls; broil on a rimmed baking sheet until browned.