Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, green and white parts chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, rinsed
- 1/4cup plain whole milk yogurt
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl; discard the fat. Add the EVOO to the pan, then add the carrot, scallions and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the beans, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Using a blender, puree the bean mixture with the yogurt, salt and pepper to taste, and 2 to 3 tbsp. water until nearly smooth. Add the bacon, pulse to mix.
- Skip pureeing the bean dip; add chopped bell peppers in three colors, plus chopped italian sausage.
- Sir in chopped flat-leaf parsley and crumbled feta; replace the scallions with fresh oregano leaves.
- Mix in grated raw or chopped cooked beets.
- Add a splash of tequila and squeeze of lime; stir to combine.
- Fold in store-bought hummus and crushed-up pita chiips.
- Toss in chopped red onion and a few dashes of chili sauce.
- Sprinkle in taco seasoning mix; fold in drained canned corn and chopped avocado.
- Top with guacamole, sour cream, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, chopped bell pepper and shredded cheddar.
- Replace two-thirds of the black beans with equal parts black-eyed peas and pinto beans.
- Toss in diced boiled potatoes and shredded cheddar.
- Stir in pulled pork and garnish with crumbled pork rinds.